Why I don't like receiving gifts

     For as long as I can remember, I have always felt awkward receiving presents. I can recall being three years old and getting embarrassed when I received a doctor's kit for Christmas one year. Maybe I felt somewhat afraid or ashamed (the issues revolving around doctors are for another day), but I remember trying to give my brother the present and my parents said that it was actually meant for me.
Image result for childrens doctors kit 1998
Image from Pinterest
     Last Christmas, my in-laws gave me seven presents. That's right, SEVEN. I'm not even their kid! Coming from a family where my parents would typically give around 3 presents, I was blown away. Who has the kind of money to do that? Answer is: my in-laws kicked us off of their phone plan (which we were paying our agreed upon amount for) the month before, so I guess that is where the money "came from," which is a whole other topic.
     Receiving so many gifts in itself was overwhelming. I was not prepared for that many, nor did I want that many presents. If it was my birthday and I received one gift from seven different people, I may feel different. Birthdays seem to be another category for me than holidays. On my birthday, I feel that it is justifiable to receive more attention than normal, but on a holiday, I feel that me opening a present by myself while everyone else is watching takes away from the holiday, and I am not about that.
     I remember being at my aunt and uncle's one Christmas and being told that I wasn't supposed to open a gift that was already handed to me because it was my grandma's "turn" to open a gift. I had never heard of that before. I thought everyone should enjoy their presents at the same time, together. Apparently I was wrong since I was reprimanded for my actions. So I guess this whole gift thing really stems from a long time back.
Philosophy Dresses & Skirts - Philosophy Green/Black Stripe Sweater Dress
Image from Poshmark.com
     I also remember giving gifts to girls multiple times throughout my childhood that were never returned. In 7th grade I got about five or six girls presents that I truly thought out for each one individually. Now for someone like me who hates spending money and doesn't like shopping, I would consider this to be a very kind gesture. One girl even told me that she "forgot" the present that she had for me and that she would bring it to me at school after Christmas break. Thanks, Hayley.
Image result for costco construction paper
Image from The Costco Connoisseur
     Now, I have several other instances of giving gifts that were unreturned (not that this is what giving is about at all!) or times when gifts were promised and not delivered (ahem, wedding present from my in-laws), or even times when I was completely forgotten by those who I thought would remember me (this year on my birthday), but I think what it really boils down to is that I don't like receiving gifts because there is an expectation that the person receive it has to enjoy or appreciate it. I don't like the pressure or stress of that on me. If someone went to the trouble to get a gift for me (bless their soul), paid for it or made it, and put time into it, yes, I would LOVE to appreciate that gift. But you know what? Sometimes we just don't care for what another person gifts us with. Which is okay! Different people are allowed to appreciate different things, which may be shocking to some. This is aside from the psychological factors of "am I worthy of this gift," "what if what I got them isn't good enough," and "do I have to now get them something?" Really, I would love to enjoy the thing (socks, sweater dress, construction paper, etc...) that you got me, but I shouldn't have to feel bad if I don't.
     As a person who highly values honesty and truth, is a horrible liar, and is terrible at controlling my facial expressions, at family gatherings and holidays, I would just prefer to not receive gifts, and I don't expect anyone to understand that, however, I do ask that I be respected in my choices and wishes to not receive gifts.
     Unless it is money. ;)

I started this blog as a memoir to share some of my life stories with you. My goal is that these encourage and educate you on how to live a more joyful, healthier, full life; one of hope.

I write about my fascination with whole foods, my love of Jesus, my struggles, my childhood stories, my passion for education, and my devotion to creating a healthy life (body, mind, and spirit) for every person in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My famous, favorite lasagna!

For Real